Friday, July 25, 2014

Pajama interview

Going on a two an a half week vacation to Hawaii while searching for a job in Florida is not ideal. Prior to leaving I assembled cover letter and resume packets to send out to schools that I was interested in. The two counties I was looking at had yet to post any jobs. 

I'm not sure why they take their sweet time posting vacancies.

 While waiting to board the plane I once again checked to see if any jobs had been posted and sure enough there they were all lined up on the screen. My automatic thought was to cancel the trip and pursue school after school.  Thankfully, I realized my crazy notion was not smart and put my trust in The Lord as I flew to paradise. A week into island life I had selected three different positions and was waiting to see if anyone would bite at my offer. Nothing happened. Managing stress while in Hawaii is not that difficult. The water is bluer than blue, the air is crisp and the landscape is breath taking. 
While laying in the sand one day the phone calls started rolling in just like the waves. Five schools wanted to set up interviews with me. When I told them I was currently in Hawaii I received no sympathy. Two schools set up phone interviews while the other three set up face to face ones when I returned. The first phone interview was set for 9:30 a.m Florida time which translates to 3:30 a.m in Hawaii. I had to be bright eyed and bushy tailed at an unbelievable hour.

The 3:30 interview felt like a dream. I had awakened myself 30 minutes prior to the phone call in hope that I would be fully functioning. Wishful thinking on my part. I was asked nine questions during the interview. One of the questions was how I incorporate literacy in my classroom and my initial response was "well...I have a lot of books." Not the best response, but I some how recovered. Interview had ended and I crawled back in bed hoping everything would turn out for the best. Sure enough, the next day I received the phone call offering me the job in which case I gladly accepted. 

3 comments :

  1. Congratulations!! That is wonderful news and a great story to share. Hope you're celebrating in Hawaii :)

    Katie
    Dirty Hands & Lesson Plans

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a perfect place to be interviewed. Congrats on your new job!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! Your sweet comments are appreciated greatly!