Monday, June 20, 2011

Popper's Penguins

I finished my first summer read
Mr. Poppers Penguins
By Richard and Florance Atwater

I have been wanting to read this book for years, but for some odd reason just kept on putting it off. Perhaps the movie coming out prompted me to finally read this delightful tale. I am interested in seeing how the movie compares to the book.

The book was written around 1938 and takes place in a small town called Stillwater. Mr. Popper paints and wallpapers houses for a living. He dreams of one day traveling around the world. Unfortunately, Mr. Popper's family is not wealthy and he does not have the luxury of traveling. He does settle for reading travel books since his painting business shuts down over the winter months. After writing a letter to an Arctic explorer, Admiral Drake, Mr. Popper ends up receiving a box from Antarctica. Mr. Popper does not have to travel far to discover one of Antartica's greatest treasures because one was sent to his door! Mr. Popper's family is in for a wild ride with their new found pet, Captain Cook.
I hope to start a literature circle with my 7th or 6th graders at the beginning of the school year.

Grade level eqivalent for Mr. Popper's Penguins
4.9

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by! Your sweet comments are appreciated greatly!