Monday, May 23, 2011

Teacher with a disability?

Over the past week I have revealed to some students that I have a disability
All of the students have had the same reaction

What
How can you have a disability
You're lying
Teachers can't have a disability
But you're smart
So you're saying that you were in the same classes as we are in
I want proof

I find their reaction interesting and sad. They identify having a disability as having no hope, that they will never be able to escape the "disability bubble"

 They are on the island of misfit toys

What they fail to realize is that just because you have a disability does not mean you have no ability at all. They have been going through school thinking that their label is negative and something that will never be overcome.

One student claimed that he is looking forward to graduating high school so he will not be identified as being different and have to be in "those classrooms"

I feel that people in general have a twisted outlook on disabilities and shy away from ESE classrooms. I believe when students with disabilities are held to high realistic expectations they will break people perception of what a disability is. Unfortunately, education likes to keep students with disabilities in their bubble

When I find a needle big enough I am going to pop that bubble
...
  

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by! Your sweet comments are appreciated greatly!