Saturday, October 12, 2013

Common Core

About a month ago the kind people at Carson-Dellosa sent some common core material to try out
I've been using them for the last couple of weeks in the classroom
and I have found them to be very useful.
I'm a visual/tactile learner by nature and have always hated shifting through all the standards on the computer when creating lesson plans. These new cards have made the process much more enjoyable because the standards are now at my fingertips. They all begin with a "I can" statement and use student friendly words. Each standard is on the corner of each card
Each standard is divided into categories. The language arts categories for 6th, 7th and 8th grade are:
Reading standards for literature
Reading standards for informational text
Writing standards
Speaking and listening standards
Language standards
The font is clear and easy to read. I tried placing them on the white board next to the days objective and found the font too small to read from a distance. I can see these cards being used during centers by displaying each activities standards.
Overall, I like the simplicity these cards have given me. All of the standards are at my finger tips. Plus they are glossy and allow you to write on the back of the card when the standard was used. 

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by! Your sweet comments are appreciated greatly!