My least favorite classroom chore is passing back student papers. It's time consuming and half the contents get thrown in the trash once they reach the owner's hands. I devised a system that is working quite well, much to my delight. It's simple and quick.
Here is the breakdown to painless paper pass out
1. assign each student a number
2. collect student's graded work in a bin (not pictured)
3. when a student is done early have them sort through graded papers
4. student uses chart that goes with the numbers
5. student files paper in bin