In preparation for the FL writes we have been focusing on writing descriptive sentences that paint a picture in the readers mind. This method of writing is often refereed to as 'Show Don't Tell'
The students were given this fold-able that I created using Word. I presented six reasons for why showing is better than telling:
1. Helps the readers make pictures in their mind
2. Showing makes writing interesting
3. Showing is more specific than telling
4. Showing makes the reader slow down. Focuses on one thing longer, sentences are longer
5. The sound of words are: smoother, flows and musical
6. Showing requires specific vocabulary
With each reason students drew a picture that correlated to the reason
They were then given telling sentences that they have to turn into showing sentences. There was a total of eight sentences that dealt with a prompt they were writing.
I related reading a telling essay to a black & white movie and a showing essay to a movie in color.